Accordia Global Health Foundation and our many partners are strengthening systems and institutions to improve health in Africa.
Overcoming the burden of infectious diseases in Africa by creating innovative health models, building centers of excellence, and strengthening medical institutions
- Sustainable excellence in Africa
- Focus on families and children
- International collaboration
- Measurable long-term benefit
- Financial sustainability and transparency
- Good governance
- Use of best practices and technology
At Accordia, we are committed to working with Africa’s medical institutions to develop individual and institutional leadership that will transform the health landscape in Africa for generations to come. By working within African academic institutions, we develop lasting institutional leadership and pave the way for stronger African health systems.
Through strong collaboration with diverse partners, including our Academic Alliance, International Scientific Advisory Board, and other leaders in academia, government, and the private sector, we:
- Bring together global resources to address health challenges in Africa,
- Strengthen in-country capabilities to offer health training, research, prevention, and care,
- Create evidence-based models that are immediately relevant in resource-limited settings and can be replicated throughout Africa.
Accordia Global Health Foundation, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization, began in 2000 with a partnership among leading academic physician-researchers from Uganda and North America, then incorporated in 2003. These physician-researchers were committed to pursuing a more collaborative, African-based and African-led approach to overcome the devastation of HIV/AIDS in sub-Saharan Africa.
In 2004, Accordia, in partnership with Pfizer Inc., the Academic Alliance, and Makerere University, established the Infectious Diseases Institute (IDI) at Makerere University as the preeminent center in sub-Saharan Africa for infectious disease training, treatment, and research. In just a decade, IDI has become a world-renowned center of excellence that is improving the quality of care available throughout the region.
Today, Accordia continues to partner with IDI to develop and implement innovative health models, while also working to build and support other centers of excellence across Africa. Collectively, a network of centers of excellence working together across the continent can permanently transform health outcomes in Africa.
Centers of excellence, like IDI, are uniquely well positioned to provide the leadership necessary to end the continent’s healthcare crisis and bring African healthcare up to world standards. These centers respond effectively and efficiently to the most urgent needs on the ground. They innovate and translate scientific advancements that are immediately relevant to low-resourced areas. They apply the best international practices and train others to do so. They respond to today’s health crises and prepare for the next one before it strikes, potentially averting another human and economic catastrophe and keeping Africa on its path to success.
- Our Global Health Programs in Uganda
- The International Center for Child Wellness in Malawi
- West African Infectious Diseases Institute
- Multi-Country Initiatives
- Read about Accordia's programs
- Watch our short video